There are many detrimental effects that drug abuse
and drug addiction
can have on an adolescent. Even prescription drugs
cause negative side effects
to adults when they are used properly. So abuse and addiction of any kind of drug have serious negative effects.
It is important for the adolescent body to develop unimpeded in order to become a healthy adult body. Drug abuse and addiction interferes with this process. Depending on the substance being used, and the age of the user, substance use can cause the following:
Tarzana Treatment Centers in Los Angeles
- Alter normal brain development and/or cause lasting brain damage that will affect the young person’s moods, tolerance to stress and frustration, and intellectual capacity.
- Negatively impact the development of healthy self-esteem and healthy social relationships.
- Hinder the development of healthy and adaptive coping strategies. Because drugs and alcohol inhibit one’s sense of time, using drugs and alcohol can provide temporary relief or a “quick fix” to pain, and lead the individual to avoid developing lasting solutions and problem solving strategies.
- Substance use can lower inhibitions and negatively impact a person’s judgment, which may lead to unwanted pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, aggression, and violence. In other words, individuals may find themselves engaging in dangerous behaviors that put them at risk for engaging in activities that can negatively affect how they see themselves.
- Continued use of alcohol and other drugs can lead to addiction and dependence. While not shown to be a linear logical progression of use in every user, many substance users do move on to harder, more dangerous drugs the more they become immersed in the drug culture. Alcoholism is considered, however, to be a progressive illness that results in more detrimental physical and social deterioration over the course of time.
provides adolescent alcohol and drug treatment
as part of our commitment to integrated behavioral healthcare
and drug detox
is also available in cases of alcohol dependence
and drug addiction
. If you or a loved one needs help with adolescent alcohol abuse
or drug abuse
, please call us now at 888-777-8565 or contact us here
Southern California Locations for Alcohol and Drug Treatment
Tarzana Treatment Centers has locations all over Southern California
in Los Angeles County. Other than our central location in Tarzana, we have facilities in Lancaster in the Antelope Valley, Long Beach, and in Northridge and Reseda in the San Fernando Valley.